TOP 5 REASONS TO STARGAZE IN WYOMING
Monday, June 19, 2017
Wyoming is known for its vast landscapes and amazing mountain views, but we must remind ourselves to step back and take advantage of one of our greatest assets-our night skies. Here are 5 reasons why Wyoming is the best place to lay back and gaze at the stars.
1. With the lowest population in the United States and even lower light pollution, Wyoming has some of the darkest night skies in the country. City lights in highly populated areas make the night sky brighter, making it difficult if not impossible to see the starry skies. Since Wyoming’s light pollution is so low, the night skies are particularly magical. This allows us to see planets, stars, nebulae, and even galaxies.
2. With an elevation averaging 6,700 feet above sea level, we’re closer to the sky in Wyoming. Being higher in elevation means that we are looking through less atmosphere making the sky’s features clearer. For an extra stunning view, plan to join one of Wyoming State Park Star walks.
3. Summer weather in Wyoming makes it easy to plan on clear skies for a night under the stars. Wyoming’s low humidity and predictable summer weather make for frequent cloudless night skies. Just to be sure, check the conditions before heading out on your stargazing adventure.
4. With endless amounts of undeveloped lands, it is easy to find the perfect spot for stargazing. With 12 state parks, and 6 national parks, monuments and sites, you won’t have trouble finding a spot to set up your telescope and settle in for the night. (Don’t worry if you didn’t bring a telescope along, the Wyoming night skies are an amazing sight even without extra gear.)
5. We love our night skies, and so do the experts. Check out night sky programs across the state including Star Programs at Devils tower, stargazing tours with Wyoming Stargazing, and several planetariums throughout the state.